If a person is in the “business of building” then more than likely. They must registered with the Building Practitioners Board (BPB). The Building Act 1993 requires most people who carry out or undertake work in building. To registered as building practitioners with the BPB. Registered Building Practitioners required to carry. The appropriate insurance to provide consumers with better protection. Where works exceed $12,000. The BPB registers individuals not companies or businesses.
The Building Regulations 2006 outline the various categories and classes of building practitioners. Also the ability to registered based upon the nature. And extent of the practitioner’s qualifications and experience.
The following categories and classes of building practitioners are currently required to registered with the BPB:
  • Building surveyor
  • Building inspector (Unlimited/Limited)
  • Quantity surveyor
  • Engineer (Civil/Mechanical/Electrical/Fire Safety)
  • Draftsperson (Building design – architectural, interior, services)
  • (Commercial builder – unlimited/limited)
  • Builder (Domestic builder – unlimited/limited/manager)
  • Builder (Demolisher – low rise buildings/medium rise buildings/unlimited)
  • Erector or supervisor (temporary structures – Class 1 and 2).
Because only Registered Building Practitioners meet the legal requirements to carry out. Also domestic building work over $5,000 in Victoria.  You can be confident Registered Building Practitioners have the qualifications. Also knowledge and experience, and domestic building insurance (where works exceed $12,000).
Identifying a Registered Building Practitioner is easy too – look for the logo or ask to see. Their official photo identification. Or to find a Registered Building Practitioner in your area. Click on Finding a Registered Building Practitioner and run a search.
Many people ask what is the difference between an Architect and a Draftsperson. Also the simple answer is Cost and registration. A draftsperson MUST registered with the building commission, whereas an Architect does not. Also an architect charges between 10-14% of the final project cost. So for a project of $200K, you would expect to outlay $28.000 for you project. Also whereas, with an design team, you would expect to pay a third of that sum.